True Friend


                                                                   Photo by Towfiqu barbhuiya on Unsplash


                                                                     True Friend  

She was so easy to get ahold of. 

Always nearby, 

she was at the ready to give advice, impart knowledge, 

distract with a joke or story. 

She could make me feel I had a friend

 when no one around me would talk. 

I wouldn’t have to sit around staring 

at the doctor’s office, the DMV, a restaurant, 

amidst an awkward situation. 

She was there for me, my lifesaver. 

Oh it was so easy to pull her out, 

see her face turn on and shine, 

So full of knowledge, and entertainment. 

She would make me feel connected, powerful, 

so full of understanding. 

But what if I just look up? 

There she is, sitting across the room. 

Sarah right?

Once I graduated from high school, I lost touch with her. 

What is there to talk about now? 

After getting past the niceties 

(as if anyone is ever just “fine”)

The awkwardness will quickly kick in. 

That pocketed friend never runs out of things to say. 

Unlike me. 

Sarah’s looking up, recognition on her face. 

I reach into my pocket and wrap my fingers around her. 

I don’t have to return the recognition. 

Face down, looking at her shine, 

I could quickly walk out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

365 Days of Christmas

Thriving in Driving

A Good Interruption